Class Levels & Prerequisites
Level 2 prerequisites
On flat water: should be able to perform a self rescue (Wet exit, move boat & gear to shore); Paddle forward and backward in a straight line; Move the boat sideways; Spin the boat in either direction; Be familiar with the High and Low braces; Cross Forward Stroke.
Level 3 prerequisites
On Class 1 moving water: The above Level 2 skills; Sculling Draw & Cross-Draw; J-lean, Eddy turns, Peal outs, Ferries, High & Low braces.
Level 4 prerequisites
All of the above Level 3 skills, plus:
- Spins (onside and offside): boat pivots in place
- Reverse: boat moves in a reasonably straight line
- Stopping: boat stops within a reasonable distance
- Turns: boat turns in broad arc made while underway
- Veering, Carving, and paddling the “inside circle”
- Abeam: boat moves sideways without headway
- Sideslips: boat moves sideways with headway
- Bow Draw and Duffek
- C-turns (Peel out and eddy into same eddy)
- S-turns (Peel out one side and eddy into opposite side)
- Good to have, but not required, Surfing and a Roll
Available Canoe Classes
- Classes are over for 2017.