Tagged: #SYOR #BartHasBabes #BadRopeBob
March 4, 2017 at 2:07 pm #1845
See the CCGH online Events Calendar listing for trip details.
Trip may be canceled if the river level less than 1′ on the route 54 painted bridge gauge.
Bart Richwine (and a truckload of babes- Lisa, Kathy, Lydia, Megan)
Matt (FB^ friend)
March 6, 2017 at 10:34 am #1870
We will be meeting at the route 54 bridge(the takeout) at 10am to organize the shuttle, gear up and then head to the putin. If interested in this trip please respond by posting here, calling or e-mailing. I’ll put you on the list I’m keeping in the original post.
March 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm #1879
Hopefully they got some of this snow out west to help get the Moshannon Creek up to a nice runnable level for race weekend.
March 17, 2017 at 6:39 pm #1884
Red Mo update. Seems like everything is on schedule for next weekend. Road is plowed. Current level is about 1′ at this time with a good amount of snow waiting to melt to add to the level for race day.
For some current pictures of road and putin go to the Red Moshannon Downriver Race FB page.
March 19, 2017 at 5:30 pm #1885
Weather looks to be not so cold for the Red Mo trip this year, Saturday, March 25.
March 19, 2017 at 9:33 pm #1887
I plan to come up with a truck load of babes (to be named at a later date).
March 20, 2017 at 1:17 pm #1889Megan BarrickParticipant
Count me in! Bart can I be one of the babes in your truck? I am defiantly down for a good paddling on the Red Mo! 😉
March 20, 2017 at 5:43 pm #1891
March 20, 2017 at 10:38 pm #1893Chris DanielsParticipant
Reece and I are planning to be there.
March 21, 2017 at 9:30 am #1894
Having never paddled the Red Mo, what’s this river like? And this time of year, what gear is recommended? Keep in mind I do not own a dry suit, just a dry top and farmer john.
March 21, 2017 at 4:21 pm #1896
Jonathan … I know I answered this on FB but just wanted to repeat it here in case other’s are wondering the same thing.
“Easy class II creek. No problem for you. Gonna be pretty low and scrapy in spots. It’s suppose to be warm enough that I was contemplating wearing my farmerjohn wetsuit and a drytop instead of the drysuit. Probably just go with the drysuit but I’ve done this creek in colder conditions long before I owned a drysuit so don’t let that stop you if you want to go. Def. a nice creek to check out if you’ve never been on it. I prefer 2′ on the bridge gauge but it’s only to be about a foot, which is about my min. for wanting to run this creek.”
March 21, 2017 at 4:26 pm #1897
Might get some help from snowmelt with the level. Here’s an extrapolated(using a spreadsheet and some imported data from the closest nearby actual gauges) showing over 1′ now.
March 21, 2017 at 7:06 pm #1898Chris DanielsParticipant
Nice info. What other info does the Gratz Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration (GOAA) produce? One for the Black Mo?
Reece isn’t afraid of the temperature or the water but the “babes” have him a bit uneasy.
March 22, 2017 at 8:32 am #1900
March 22, 2017 at 10:02 am #1902
Reese … have no fear. And Jonathan … yes I meant to say the route 53 bridge where it crosses the Moshannon is the takeout, where we meet to organize a shuttle.
Also may be a bunch of others jumping on board. Vern, Howard Davis. Maybe Judy, Al and Phil also.
March 22, 2017 at 10:17 am #1904
Info from American Whitewater:
Put-in (Class I)
Put-in river-left just below the Peale bridge.
Tiffs Riff (Class I, Mile 2.8)
The first “action” after 2+ miles of warm up. Wavetrains on river-right where most of the flow pushes.
Preacher’s Island (Class I, Mile 3.0)
The clear path is river-right of this island. This is the popular destination for “on-river” spectating carnage at Rattlesnake Rapid on race day!
Magnavox Rocks (Class II, Mile 5.0)
Rocks the size of a Magnavox TV river-right on the outside of a slight turn to the left.
Four Pines Island (Class I, Mile 5.5)
Looks to only be 3 pines remaining. Keep river-left.
Slant Rock (Class II, Mile 6.0)
The biggest hole on the Red Mo. The Slant Rock is river-left and the hole is left of center. Playable if you can attain. Some brave folks have been seen jumping off this rock, but it would appear to be a fairly shallow landing.
Chicko’s Rock (Class II, Mile 6.7)
Stay river-left to miss the “action”. Beware of Chicko’s that lurks submerged in the middle of the river halfway through the rapid.
Twinn Rocks (Class N/A, Mile 7.3)
Stay river-right and “split” the Twinn’s because this is the finale!
Take-out (Class I, Mile 7.5)
Take-out river-left under or just past the bridge.
March 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm #1910
Looks like it will be Bart, Lisa, Megan, Kathy & Lydia in the truck.
March 22, 2017 at 9:36 pm #1911
I plan to get there early enough to take Jill up to the putin so she can get registered for the race and I’ll be back by 10ish at the takeout to meet everyone. I’ll be dropping Jill, her SUP and my boats and all our gear at the top. It would be best for Jill if I can leave my van at the takeout for her since she will finish well before we all get done. Everyone could leave their drys and whatever in my van like I think we did last year. All I need is a spot in a vehicle for me. If I can’t find a spot in some other vehicle going up to the putin, maybe I could squeeze between some of the girls in your truck for a ride to the putin ?? 😉
March 22, 2017 at 9:48 pm #1912
I posted a image of a basic map of the run from Peale Bridge down to the takeout at the route 53 bridge on my FB page and also the CCGH FB page under the Red Mo posts.
March 23, 2017 at 8:14 pm #1913
Just got a report from a local it is 1.5′ at the route 53 bridge and they are calling for rain tomorrow.
Rick you can ride with us to the PI but you might have to lay across the laps of the babes in the back seat. You will need to get a permission slip from Jill.
March 23, 2017 at 8:43 pm #1914Bob BlumlingParticipant
Been wanting to do this Red Mo for some time and it looks like everything is a go (for the Mo), so I am planning to head up Saturday AM. If anyone wants to carpool, post and maybe we can set a meeting point (I’m coming from Hershey/Hummelstown). I do have a white truck too, but unfortunately no babes, and warning I may have to stop briefly at the Penn State Creamery on the way back! Thinking I would leave Hershey around 6:30-7:00. ~BOB (SYOR)
March 23, 2017 at 10:52 pm #1915
Will be good to have something more than the min. this year. I’ll ask Jill to write me a note. If not maybe I can ride in the back with your boats and gear. 😉
This is a fun little creek. Glad you are planning on catching it. I know Jonathan is planning on coming up. He may be a possible carpooler living in Harrisburg.
March 23, 2017 at 11:19 pm #1916
So currently the plan is for everyone to meet up at the takeout at 10am on the way in to gear up and get ready, then head up to the putin to unload and start the trip. I plan to get there early enough to take Jill up to the putin so she is there to check in for the race. I’ll drop our boats and gear and be back at the takeout in time to meet everyone around 10am. I’ll plan to leave my van at the takeout for Jill, since she will be finishing well ahead of our group paddle. So my van will be at the takeout at the end of the trip and anyone wanting to put dry clothes, drinks/food or whatever for right after the paddle can leave it in my van if needed. After we’ve finished the run I’ll take all drivers back up to the putin to get vehicles.
March 24, 2017 at 10:44 am #1917
Just got word from Vern and they are planning to carpool up going in one big group with a trailer and will most likely run their own shuttle. Just FYI.
March 24, 2017 at 8:53 pm #1936Jennifer BrockParticipant
Carpooling with Bob and will see you there.
March 26, 2017 at 10:13 am #1937
My pics from the day.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.