The registration fee is $20 per person or $50 for a family of three or more racers. You need only complete one registration form to be eligible for any and all races you wish to enter. Registration fees benefit Harrisburg Inspiring Connections Outdoors, a program to provide outdoor experiences to Harrisburg youth and teens which is affiliated with the Sierra Club Foundation.
Canoe Club of Greater Harrisburg, c/o Brian Palmer
225 West Maple Street, Palmyra, PA 17078
Online and mailed race entries must be received by the Wednesday before the race. You may register in person up until 9 a.m. on race day. We will have tents set up down on the river walk near the start/finish line. Look for the banners that say “CCGH” and “Dick Reese Kipona Canoe Races.” Entry is limited to 200 participants.
Race organizers reserve the right to cancel the race due to high water or extreme weather. Pre-registered racers will be sent their T-shirts in the event of cancellation.
For more information contact
The distance races (1 mile for youth under 16 and adults paddling with youth, 3 miles for recreational boats, and 6 miles for competition boats) will start at 10:00 AM and be in the following classes (all classes will start together):
- K1 racing (race kayaks and any composite sea kayak)
- C1 racing (any composite canoe)
- C2 racing (any composite canoe)
- C1 recreational (any plastic or aluminum canoe)
- C2 recreational (any plastic or aluminum canoe)
- K1 short rec (plastic kayaks 12 ft and under)
- K1 long rec (plastic kayaks over 12 ft)
- K1 kids (paddlers under 16 years old)
On race day, the canoe sprint races will start after the distance races are finished. The sprint races will be run in the order listed below and called out before each class begins. If you wish to race in a class, you and your canoe partner(s) simply come forward when that class is called by the race organizers. Your name(s) will be recorded and you and your partner(s) will be assigned to a canoe. You may decide on race day in which classes you want to compete.
- Boat Sponsors Race (C-2)
- C-2 Adult/Youth
- C-2 Novice (never raced before)
- C-2 Pat Reilly HICO Challenge (for youth under 16)
- C-2 Men
- C-2 Women
- C-1 Men – Dick Reese Challenge
- C-1 Women – Mariah Quant Challenge
- C-2 Mixed
- C-4 War Canoe (we will probably not have this class in 2020 because of Covid-19 social distancing requirements).
- “Anything goes” canoe and kayak sprint – open to all recreational and racing canoes and kayaks.
C-2 means two paddlers per canoe; C-1 means one paddler per canoe.
Note to racers: if you use the on-line registration form below, you will also need to print and complete an American Canoe Association insurance waiver for each adult and each minor child and bring them to the race. Children under the age of 18 will need a parent or guardian’s signature on the ACA insurance waiver. (Extra ACA insurance waivers will be available at the race when you pick up your T-shirt.)